It makes perfect sense that January is National Soup Month. There’s nothing better than coming home on a bitter cold day and eating a big bowl of something yummy that warms you from the inside out.
Soup is versatile and can be relatively simple and inexpensive to make. Combining pantry staples with spices and few special ingredients can produce something satisfying and delicious. This is definitely true with one of my go-tos: lentil soup. It’s a great vegetarian option that’s hearty and customizable. Grab your favorite spices and herbs, throw in some carrots or celery, or maybe add some heat. Go for it!
A big batch of this will certainly help get you through the rest of winter. Before you know it we’ll all be shedding our layers and stepping out into the sun.
- 1 ½ qts vegetable stock
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 medium sized onion chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 small bunch parsley chopped
- Heat olive oil on low in large pot
- Add chopped onion and cook 3-5 min.
- Add chopped garlic and cook additional 2-3 min.
- Add veggie stock and raise heat
- When stock is at a low boil add lentils
- Add salt, pepper, cumin, turmeric and lemon juice
- Cook for 25 min.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and add parsley
- Cook for additional 10-15 min. (until lentils are soft)
- Serve and garnish with more parsley if desired